importance

By Sheryl - 11:53 PM



Hi. I've been blogging a lot recently and I blame it on the season. With Christmas and term break coming up, I find myself having more things up in my pea-brain to talk about and more time to jot it down/blog about it. 

As I'm writing this, the clock is ticking- from 18th of December 11:26PM to 19th of December 12AM. We are almost half way through December and we're down to the very last few days before Christmas!! (Which I am super duper stoked about even though I don't celebrate.) With Christmas nearing at such a pace, it's time to realize that hey, 2014 is ending. An entire year is coming to an end and a brand new one is beginning. 2015 is just round the corner and I've been reflecting a lot about this entire year in general. 

I started 2014 with a list of things I wanted to accomplish. But if you were to ask me if I accomplished any of those, I would tell you- I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT I WROTE ON MY TO-DO LIST FOR 2014. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a list that looked like this: 

I have been doing nothing but going online, eating and sleeping and just lazing around this entire year (minus the days I go to school and actually get things done). I've been wrecking my mind for the last few days, trying to jot down things I have accomplished this year that I was really proud of. Guess what. I couldn't think of anything at all. It was horrible realizing that I have not only forgotten about the goals I wanted to reach but also wasted another year not accomplishing anything.



Did I really only survived? Did I really do nothing important this year? So I decided to ask my friends, what exactly have I done with them this year that was something to be proud of. It wasn't a great start, but at least it was something. So I started writing in my notebook. Things that made me happy, things that I was proud of doing even though it wasn't something everyone would say "omg wow you actually did that? congrats!!". I slowly started building up things I was happy I did, chances I was happy I took, friends I was happy I made, people I was lucky enough to meet. Then everything came together all at once. I realized 2014 wasn't that bad of a year.


We have all been chasing the huge neon signs with the words "HAPPINESS" on it that we forget about what happiness truly is. The small things that happen to us. The smallest, slightest details. 
I had so many things I did. I made so many new friends. I left the people who made me feel like shit and I moved on. I forgave myself. I forgave others. I cried during romance movies. I ate good food. I hung out with friends. I DID SO MANY THINGS. But I never once said "Oh! I'm proud I did that!" I never once realized how happy I was to have done so many small things. I was busy chasing the big things like oh my GPA, and exam grades. I didn't realize the smaller things made up for all the big things. 


It is clearly a choice we get to make. It is our life, it is your life. You get to decide what you want to do. Be happy or be miserable. It is not someone else's choice. Is it yours. 

So yes, 2014 may have been a real scary roller-coaster. But I did it. I made it till the end with more things I was happy I did than things I was upset about. Then I realized, my goal was to be carefree and happier. & I achieved that goal.


So here's to 2015; 
image



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments